Residential Programs For Troubled Youth
Many residential programs for troubled youth focus on one specific “problem area” that a student may face. At Equinox, we address the core issues underlying symptoms from a variety of ways. In this way, we can a focused look at these core issues in order to create lasting progress in a student’s life.
In addition to facing the core issues, we also believe that maintaining physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, and relational health helps ensure positive growth. A large body of research has shown that when an individual is lacking in one area, it can majorly impact all other areas of their lives.
Why Choose Equinox over other residential programs for troubled youth?
At Equinox RTC, our executive team have decades of experience working with young people who have struggled with emotional and behavioral challenges. Equinox RTC is one of the most unique residential programs for troubled youth because:
- We are gender specific: There are hundreds of residential programs for troubled youth that offer gender specific programming. However, Equinox RTC takes the “boys only” approach to a new level. Using years of research about the specific ways that young men overcome challenges and learn about themselves, we have developed therapeutic and academic programming which addresses the very unique needs of our students. Learn more about our gender-specific approach here.
- We believe change from the inside-out is more effective than compliance: Historically, residential programs for troubled youth have focused on using a rigid system of consequences and rewards to help transform teen behavior. It is our belief that this approach is short-lived and rarely effective. Instead of focusing on compliance, we help teens develop strong relationship skills and positive principles such as respect, responsibility, and love.
- We have a family-focused approach to therapy: Without the support of the entire family unit, your son cannot achieve lasting therapeutic success. Because of this, we involve the family in every step of the process. Every week, students and families engage in family therapy sessions. Family involvement is one of the most important factors for positive treatment outcomes. You can learn more information about our family programming here.
“Big T’s” vs. “Little T’s”
At Equinox, we help teens struggling with a wide range of challenges such as addictive behaviors, depression, and anxiety. However, one of our specialties is on helping teen boys struggling with trauma. We utilize cutting-edge neurological research to inform every aspect of our trauma-related therapeutic techniques.
In the past, the use of the word “trauma” only referred to huge, catastrophic events like car accidents, hurricanes, or physical abuse. We refer to these events as “Big-T Traumas”. However, recent research has found that the same neurological shifts caused by “Big-T traumas” can occur in the same exact way with people who have experienced smaller traumas. We call these traumas “little-t’s”. These little t traumas include events such as bullying, divorce, adoption, or social isolation.
Little t traumas can affect our social, emotional, and spiritual development just as much as Big T Traumas. Both Big T and little t traumas can cause emotional dysregulation which can lead to unhealthy behaviors such as substance use and technology addiction.
Equinox RTC specializes in treating the effects of trauma
At Equinox RTC, we utilize a holistic approach combined with evidenced-based therapeutic techniques to help teens overcome the effects of trauma. Our therapeutic approach includes modalities such as:
- Somatic experiencing
- Trauma-focused adventure therapy
- Trauma-focused equine assisted psychotherapy
- Trauma-focused cognitive behavioral therapy
- Gender-specific addictions treatment
We believe the most important healing tool for trauma is the development of relationships. While at Equinox, your son will build strong, trusting friendships with fellow students and staff members. These relationships are crucial for helping your son overcome trauma and start to build an empowered, confident belief in himself.
Learn more about “Big Ts” and “little ts” here.
Hands-On Learning and Experiential Activities
Unlike other residential programs for troubled youth, Equinox RTC’s academic programming takes students outside of the classroom into hands on learning environments. Although we still offer a traditional classroom environment some of the time, we have found that bringing young men outside and into the natural world can be extremely impactful. For example, for a science class, we may take students out by a stream near campus to learn about the micro-organisms found there. For a Language Arts class, students may do a writing assignment while sitting in a field.
We also take students on field trips and camping trips. These experiential learning opportunities combine therapy with academics, recreation, and community involvement.
Neurological Basis for Experiential Approach
Neurologically, young men are very different from young women. Males learn through the spatial and visual areas of the brain. This means that sitting around all day in classrooms is much less effective for them. This is why Equinox has designed therapeutic and academic programming which brings them out of those traditional learning environments.
Learn more about the neurological focus of our therapeutic and academic programming here.
We incorporate an experiential approach within our therapeutic programming by carrying out many of our sessions outdoors. Students are encouraged to participate in outdoor activities during therapy, such as walking around campus, playing basketball, or frisbee. As boys move around, their brains are able to speed up information processing. This creates a developmentally appropriate healing environment.
At Equinox RTC, our campus offers a variety of facilities which encourage indoor and outdoor experiential activities.
Our extensive facilities include a dining hall, game room, school building, one of the nation’s oldest open-air gymnasiums, an outdoor pool, a huge waterslide, amphitheater, basketball court, tennis court, athletic field, fishing ponds and hiking trails. The boys’ residences are strategically situated in the middle of the campus with beautiful views of the pool, pond, and walking trails.
To learn more about the ways in which Equinox RTC can help your son achieve lasting success, please call 877-279-8925.
We help families from all over the country:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont,Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming