Residential Treatment Programs
Equinox RTC, one of the leading residential treatment programs for young men ages 14-18, is a residential treatment center which specializes in helping teens struggling with behavioral and emotional challenges such as trauma, depression, and addictive behaviors. Located in Bat Cave, North Carolina, our program combines experiential learning with trauma-focused therapeutic techniques in order to address the specific challenges Equinox students face.
At Equinox, we believe that people more than programs can create a lasting impact. Our mission is to inspire young men and their families to live in the moment, embrace the journey, choose happiness, respond with love, and lead by example.
How is Equinox different from other residential treatment programs?
What sets Equinox RTC apart from other residential treatment programs? The answer lies in the evidence-based approach we take throughout our programming. Here are some reasons our program may be the solution you are looking for to help your son:
- Gender-specific programming: At Equinox RTC, we have developed an academic and therapeutic approach which is specifically tailored to the needs of young men in their teenage years. Working with young men in their adolescence requires a specific neurological, physiological, and emotional focus which is hard to carry out in a co-educational environment. Because we are boys-only, everything about our programming is designed to help this specific population achieve success. Learn more about our gender specific programming here.
- Family focused: Building strong, health family relationships is a crucial factor in ensuring lasting change and success within teens. At our program’s core, we are committed to rebuilding damaged relationships within the family system. We do this through weekly family therapy sessions and planned family visits to campus.
- Reshaping core values: Rather than focusing on a system of compliance, which is not effective in most cases, we focus on reshaping the relationship skills and core principles of students. When teens are placed in an environment where they are given the choice to absorb important values, they are more likely to change principles such as respect, love, relationships, and responsibility for the better.
- Individualized programming: Every aspect of our programming is personalized for each individual student. At Equinox, we believe in treating the whole person, not just specific problem areas within students. We address the underlying challenges which drive negative behaviors. This is done on a case-by-case basis.
- Focus on transitions: At Equinox, we have incorporated a fully integrated aftercare system which helps the transition out of Equinox run smoothly. This focus on your student’s transition out of Equinox helps ensure lasting success long after your child graduates from our program.
Academic Programming at Equinox RTC
At Equinox RTC, our academic programming is designed to meet the specific needs of each individual student based on their academic abilities. We “meet students where they are at”. Upon arrival, some students have underperformed academically, while others have excelled. We have designed our programming to fit the needs of all students.
Academic programming at Equinox includes:
- Small class sizes: Unlike other residential treatment programs, our class sizes are kept to just a few students. No more than 10 boys are in each class. This allows each student to get the individual attention they need to achieve academic success.
- Year-round programming: At Equinox, school takes place throughout the year, with five 10-week terms. During each term, students can earn credits for a full quarter in each class. Shorter terms and flexible scheduling allow for students to see academic progress. Independent study courses are also offered for students who wish to take classes they are specifically interested in.
- Fully integrated academics and therapeutic programming: Our academic and therapeutic staff work closely together to form a master comprehensive treatment plan for each student. Each week, we hold multidisciplinary staff meetings which include therapeutic, academic, and residential staff in order to discuss academic and therapeutic programming.
- Catering to different learning styles: The academic plan for each student is based on their individualized learning objectives. Students who struggle with a specific subject can receive tutoring during class or in a one-on-one tutoring session after school hours. We also offer additional academic services depending on the specific needs of each student.
Our academic programming helps ensure that your child will not get behind in school while they are receiving treatment. In fact, they will be provided with the tools to excel in school long after they graduate from our program.
Evidence-Based Clinical Approach
At Equinox RTC, we help young men struggling with challenges such as trauma, attachment, addictive behavioral patterns, and depression. Our therapeutic approach is based on three pillars, which help promote positive development and growth within young men:
- Relationships: At Equinox, we believe the formation of strong, trusting relationships is the number one factor for positive change within young men. Our experienced staff help guide students and families towards rebuilding positive relationships which help ensure that true healing and change take place.
- Internal Growth through Principles: Throughout their time at Equinox, boys are guided through the development of a positive value system which helps shape their choices and behaviors.
- Experientally-applied: Through hands-on experiences in indoor and outdoor settings, students are able to shift their perspectives and old patterns of thinking. Young men learn and heal more effectively when they are not cooped up indoors in traditional therapeutic and academic settings. By taking the classroom and therapy sessions outdoors, we have created a more developmentally appropriate program for students.
In addition to these pillars, our clinicians are trained in therapeutic modalities such as:
- Family Systems Theory
- TF-CBT (Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy)
- Somatic Experiencing
Community-Based Therapeutic Environment
At Equinox, we have created a comfortable, home-like setting which encourages a strong peer culture. Our structured, close-knit community on campus allows for positive growth amongst students. A student’s role in the community helps encourage a sense of responsibility, accountability, and empowerment which boosts self confidence and self esteem.
Learn more about the community environment at Equinox RTC here.
For more information about Equinox RTC, please call (877) 279-8925 to speak to our admissions team.
Equinox RTC helps teens and families from:
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont,Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming